Chinese Culture Translation & Studies Support Network
Sino-Foreign Cultural Translation & Cooperation Platform
Discover, Translate, Create & Share the Best Works of Chinese Culture
Sharing Culture, Sharing Mind.
Great Works, for ALL Languagues.
What is CCTSS?
Chinese Culture Translation and Studies Support Network (cctss.org) is a non-profit platform to help global Chinese culture readers and viewers discover, translate, create and share high quality works of Chinese culture. It helps international readers, viewers, translators and professionals to find suitable works, facilitate their translation and creation, find subsidies and partnerships, and provides solid support to cultural institutions and administrations of China and other countries for their mutual cultural translation and cooperation initiatives.
Operated by the Chinese Culture Translation & Studies Support Research Center under the joint intitiative of Beijing Languages and Culture University and the Bureau for External Cultural Relations, Ministry of Culture, CCTSS.org serves as a public platform to connect and bridge the needs and resources of governments, the intelligentsia and the public.Since its inception in 2015, it has launched one-on-one bilateral exchange on mutual cultural translation with over 60 countries of the world, established partnership with over 1000 publishing, film & TV, art,culture, museum, research, education and media organizations across the world, forged strategic relations with over 50 international book fairs, film festivals, cultural flagship programs and 10 major global internet companies and attracted over 2000 writers, editors, translators and publishers into its talents bank, invited over 200 experts to forge over 30 language panels and 10 work selection panels covering areas like literature, publishing, film & TV, art, academics and local culture and fostered a few dozens of cultural translation program workshops, which became a solid springboard for global translators and readers to discover, recommend, translate and promote high quality works on Chinese culture.
By the end of 2016, CCTSS.org has built a database of more than 3,000 China-related works in many languages. It published a series of guidelines for the subsidies of translation and creation for China-related works, and helped more than 300 Chinese cultural works to complete, edit, translate their synopses, sample chapters, movie clips and full texts, as well as helping them realize international cooperation and reach international market and readership, including Ge Fei’s The Enemy, Cao Wenxuan’s No. 8 Streetlight, film Coming Home, documentary Nanhai No. 1 and TV drama Nirvana in Fire, and Family on the Go, etc.. In 2017, it will also officially release the App of “China Readers’ Club”, which will be equipped with optimized technical design and more reader-friendly interface, so as to create a one-stop-for-all experience of “easy searching, easy translating” for global users.
What does the Multilingual Library of CCTSS.org include? How to use it?
The multilingual library of CCTSS.org is currently composed of works published by professional authors and copyright agencies, covering many aspects of Chinese culture, including: literature, poetry, art, life, history, culture, museum, social science, academic research, science and technology, popular science, philosophy, ideology, film, television, documentary, cartoon games, song collections, handcrafts, visual arts, local chronicles and folk culture. Author members can issue these works, including its basic information and need for translation or promotion, on the website, and professional editor/translator members can participate in the editing, polishing and sample chapter translation of synopses, information and reviews, and promote these works through professional partnerships to global publishing, film and television, and cultural institutions. Members who have successfully participated in these translation initiatives will be rewarded by the site through credit, remuneration, honor and other returns.
From 2017, CCTSS.org will further expand the content of CCTSS library beyond the existing 3,000 works and provide a new service of “wishlist service” for foreign readers, invite global readers to issue their interested topics, initiate wishlist works voting and let the copyright agencies, authors and translators know their interests, needs and potential buying motivation. In doing so, readers will be able to propose, select and create their own favorite works and even launch crowd-funding for such works. CCTSS will create a special column of “China Readers’ Club” for professional critics and “reading guides” to help readers find better Chinese works, so that more readers can get closer, deeper and more comprehensive view of the Chinese culture.
At present, the authors and the copyright agencies with works of Chinese themes can apply to join the CCTSS.org website, create author profile and pages for individual works and launch co-editing and translation collaboration endeavors through the website. Global translators can also participate in the translation of related works by registering as professional members. From 2017, global Chinese culture lovers, professionals and all readers can also download the App “China Readers’ Club”, follow the CCTSS.org global social network accounts, browse the column of “China Readers’ Club”, gain access to latest works, and apply for some free reading chances.
How to become a member of CCTSS.org? And what services can he/she get?
In order to ensure its service quality and professional standard, CCTSS.org membership is based on invitation, recommendation or application. We welcome all professionals of the following qualifications can apply for membership and enjoy related services and hope you could also recommend them to us.
1. Active Readers (Member/Host of “China Readers’ Club”): Overseas readers or viewers who love China and are interested in Chinese culture themes or works, can post their feedback on the website or send emails to email@example.com, providing ideas on specific Chinese works that they would like to read, view or purchase, including their language types, interested authors and genres, possible market in their home country and clues to institutions and individuals who have the potential to import and translate such works. The website will then contact the readers and offer them the membership of Active Readers (Member/Host of “China Readers’ Club”). Readers are rewarded occasionally by free e-books, paper books or audiovisual contents upon their contributions in terms of works recommendations, readership promotion, on-line reviews and other promotion activities. These members can enjoy support for their intitiative in participating and organizing “China Readers’ Club” theme activities, have priorities in getting high-profile interviews, interacting with Chinese writers and taking part in in-depth cultural study tours in China.
2. Professional Editor/Translator Members: Professional translators, publishers and distributors, who possess work experiences or clear intentions of translating Chinese culture works and wish to translate, introduce and promote Chinese works, or those who would like to take this as a profession, can post their interest on the website or apply for the membership of professional Editor/Translator Members (professional membership of CCTSS.org). The professional members can obtain membership accounts, set up individual or institutional pages, introduce personal or institutional achievements, participate in member communities, obtain information and works from latest Chinese works, publish and select works for translation, look for partners, apply for funding support, and have priority to participate in academic training and forums of Chinese and foreign literature publishing, film and television translation and other events, and have priorities in getting chances of high-level cultural exchange and taking part in bilateral Sino-Foreign Cultural Translation & Cooperation Support Programs.
3. Authors: The Chinese and foreign copyright agencies and authors who obtain the copyrights of Chinese theme works and hope to translate the works into other languages which can be published, distributed and disseminated in the world, can leave posts on the website or send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for the author membership of CCTSS.org. The author members can obtain membership accounts, set up individual or institutional pages, present their works to the multilingual library of CCTSS.org, self-publish or authorize website to release the synopses, sample chapters, film clips or full texts for further editing and translation. The author members can submit the targeted language types and intended partners, and invite professional members to assist in the synopsis writing, sample translation, full text translation, as well as seeking international partnership, applying for fund and organizing promotion activities and getting feedback statistics, and have priorities in participating in workshops about Chinese and foreign cultural translation, international exchanges, as well as taking part in bilateral Sino-Foreign Cultural Translation & Cooperation Support Programs.
How to join the team of CCTSS.org, or cooperate with the website?
CCTSS.org is a non-profit platform. It needs the support and participation of Chinese and foreign experts, volunteers and media partners. If you are interested in the following membership/jobs, please contact us:
1. CCTSS Expert Panel Members: Chinese and foreign senior experts with over five years managerial, diplomatic, academic or creative experience in Chinese and foreign cultural exchange and translation cooperation projects who have a strong sense of public responsibility and high level of language skills, and are willing to participate in the Chinese and foreign cultural cooperation project management, quality review, content editing and revision work can leave a post on the website or send emails to email@example.com with a resume and an experience certificate. Once qualifited, they will be invited by the website to become a Expert Panel Member. A personal web page and a professional account will be created. And members can join relevant panels and participate in website-related academic research, content management and expert exchange, etc..
CCTSS Volunteers: Volunteers who are interested to work in CCTSS.org as full-time or part-time editors, liaisons or project secretaries can help to support the website operation and daily maintenance, resumes should be sent to Jobs@cctss.org and volunteer work will be recognized by authoratative institutions.
3. CCTSS Media Members/Partners: International media partners who are interested in the content of CCTSS.org, and hope to set up pages on the website in their own languages, reprint the content in their domestic media or contribute to website content, can leave a post on the website or submit an institutional or personal profile to firstname.lastname@example.org. After verification, media members/partners will be invited to participate in the relevant content and partnership cooperation.
CCTSS.org welcomes the visits of all international and domestic partners, experts, translators, readers, media and friends, and looks forward to joining hands with all partners for the promotion of cultural translation & cooperation across the world.Contacts:
Address: 6th Floor, Building A, Zonghelou,Beijing Language and Culture University, 15 Xueyuan Road, Haidian District,Beijing, 100083, P. R. China
The copyrights of this handbook belong to CCTSS, and all rights are reserved. Unauthorized copies for commercial purposes are strictly forbidden.